Friday, December 3, 2010

To Tell and What Not to Tell...That is the Question

     On Yahoo!, there was an article about what teenagers tell and don't tell their parents. Being a teenager, I can definitely relate to this article. Somethings I don't tell my parents because I already know what their answer will be.  Parents sometimes forget how they felt when they were teenagers. Us teenagers are sometimes more reluctant to share our personal issues or "high school" issues with our parents because they tend to blow them off like just because we're younger our issues aren't important. Or, sometimes we won't tell our parents things because they will nag and give us a loooong lecture. For example, my parents never really know when me or my brother are in a relationship because we know we're going to get the "3rd degree" about them. We might date someone for a year and then EVENTUALLY tell them. I'm personally more of a private person.
     I don't really tell my parents issues unless they're serious. Sometimes as parents it's just good to just listen and wait for us (teenagers) to ask you for feedback. However, I don't advise teenagers to "mask" their issues or problems (which we tend to do). Sometimes it is good to vent to our parents (I mean they were where we are now). Teenagers think that parents just don't understand (sometimes they REALLY don't) but there are times where they do and can actually help.  Parents fail to realize that teenagers are under A LOT of stress sometimes. If you think about it, we have to balance school, jobs, hormones, maybe chores, relationships, and just being a teenager. And some teenagers have A LOT more responsibilities than that. A  LOT goes on in teenager's heads; we're trying to figure things out (let alone or selves out) all WHILE balancing out the other things. Parents, we (teenagers)  know that ,as we get older, more things will be added on to that list but for now we just want to focus on high-school. When parents talk to us, they talk about the "real world" (we don't want to hear that). We want you to put yourself to where we are NOW!  Parents can sometimes overwhelm us by the "yeah, you see this water bill" and "oh, look at this electric bill". Parents need to act more like a teenager sometimes (yeah I said it). So, to parents listen before you speak and think more like a teenager with us (put yourself in our wold). And...to my fellow teenagers do what you have to do and FOCUS on what you NEED TO DO to complete your goals (even if that means NO boyfriend/girlfriends).
To everyone DO BETTER at whatever it is that you are suppose to be doing. Set a good example for others.

~Taylor Nicole~

P.S. I wasn't aware I sounded like Dr. Phil while typing this. Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment